Over the past few months (perhaps year, even), I have been neglectful of my relationships. I came to this realization on Saturday at a loud rock concert, when I went to the show while my other friends, who caringly invited me to see “Burn After Reading” with them. I had to say no, because I had already committed to the show.
So here it is, I’m sorry for being a bad friend to you guys. And here you are by name:
- And anybody else I have so cruelly forgotten. If you don’t see your name here, send me an email, with subject “Hey, asshole, remember me? The one you said ‘we should hang out more’ to? (But if I don’t know you, then I am not sorry for forgetting you, or even for being a poor friend to you, because I have not known you.)
I love you guys, and I’m sorry. I will try to call you within the next two weeks. Even if I have to finish a presentation to give at SES and a paper (my first! it’s going to be total shit). And no, I’m not getting facebook, that is not a solution to this.
Calendar of events:
- Oct 12-15: SES in Urbana-Chaimpaign. Giving a presentation. Eating deep-dish pizza in Chicago.
- Oct 24: Asobi Seksu at Hi-Dive with Mary
- Nov 4-7: Matt visits, with bike in tow
- Nov 8: Danielson at Hi-Dive (I love this place, oh so very much), probably by myself
- Some time in October: “A Tapas Thanksgiving.” Just because we need a 4th Thanksgiving this year.
In other news:
- I got two albums yesterday at Twist & Shout. Both used, both in fair condition. One is an Art Tatum double album, which is the shiznit, and the other is Joe Cocker’s “With A Little Help From My Friends,” which has a warp at the edge. I’ll probably put it in a glass sandwich and try to iron it out.
- I am making another loaf of no-knead bread from the New York Times recipe. This time I’m using bread flour. Fingers crossed.
- We got a doorbell. It’s manual, and it is awesome. It is also very loud. I hope you can come ring it soon.
- One of my Bang & Olufsen speakers has a blown woofer. Hopefully I can fix it by replacing a driver.
- It is late. I should be sleeping.
- We made tomato soup tonight from ingredients in our garden. It was very good. Very sweet, as the varieties of tomatoes that we grow are sweet. I will eat it with my no-knead bread, and it will be delicious.
- Mandy is having the time of her life as an intern. By that, I mean it is hard, thankless, and she works long hours. “Time of her life” seems apt.
This seems like it has devolved into something like a christmas letter. Fuck (I just saved it with that properly-placed expletive). Ok, kids, I gotta go. And if you want something to read about, look up Mr. Rogers on MentalFloss. It will make you smile.